• Advertisement

rear wheel studs

Talk about just about anything in here, but keep it clean!

rear wheel studs

Postby waterwellwizard » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:05 pm

SHANDELLE, CAN YOU TELL ME WHY V8R SUPPLIES SUCH A LOOONG REAR WHEEL STUD WITH YOUR CONVERSION? TO SAY THAT THEY ARE TOO LONG IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. YOU COULD USE THREE REGULAR LUG NUTS ON THESE STUDS! WHAT'S UP WITH THIS? ANY LOGICAL REASONING FOR THIS EXTRA STUD LENGTH THAT I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND? FM DIDN'T UNDERSTAND EITHER. JUST WONDERING, BEFORE I TAKE A SAWZALL TO THEM AND SHORTEN THE STUDS UP A FEW THREADS (UNLESS YOU HAVE A BETTER SOLUTION). MY REASON FOR ASKING IS, MY LUG NUTS HAVE CAPS ON THE END AND WON'T TIGHTEN UP (THE END OF THE LUG CAP HITS THE END OF THE STUD BEFORE IT CONTACTS WITH THE WHEEL) SO I HAVE TO USE REGULAR LUGS ON THE REAR AND IT IS VISUALLY SUB PAR AND I WANT IT TO LOOK GOOD. THAT'S THE ONLY ISSUE THAT I HAVE WITH YOUR WHOLE CONVERSION KIT. 414 REAR WHEEL H.P. IN A MIATA IS INCREDIBLE. EVERYONE THAT RIDES IN IT FREAKS OUT! JAW DROPPING PERFORMANCE! COULDN'T BE MORE PLEASED WITH THE END PRODUCT (EXCEPT FOR THOSE REAR STUDS). THANX. WWW PS: THE TUBULAR CONTROL ARMS ARE GREAT, WORTH EVERY DOLLAR!!
waterwellwizard

Re: rear wheel studs

Postby shandelle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:33 pm

Several different reasons:

The studs provided with our kits are an ARP stud with 190,000 psi tensile strength. They are 8740 chrome moly heat treated and cadmium plated. I'm sure a standard run of the mill stud would work for most, but a quality high performance stud in powerful cars like these brings piece of mind. Our kits where designed to be used in competition based cars and some classification require a longer wheel stud for higher shock loads and lateral forces. Also a longer stud allows for a fastener such as the 949 racing nuts to be used to it's full thread length. With the 949 lugs there is minimal stud remaining after the fastener. Longer studs also allow for the use of wheel spacer to optimize offset with different wheels.

Happy New Years!
Shandelle
shandelle
Engineering Guru

Postby IPRESS » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:49 pm

LONGER STUDS are great!
Mac Spikes
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson TX
99 White Tiger Miata LS1, T5, FatCat suspension, V8Roadster Big Bad Brake kit
IPRESS

Postby perryracing » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:50 am

Safety first. I have had lugs come loose in SM on shorter studs not a fun experience. I invested in a set of the 949 lugs and have found them to be perfect with the ARP studs. Hope this helps.

Mark
perryracing

Postby John J » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:05 pm

The 949 studs make the most logical choice. I am just starting my build and have already purchased the 949 studs along with my new 6UL wheels as part of my conversion. Will start posting in the near future.

John J
John J

Postby waterwellwizard » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 am

THANKS FOR THE INFO ABOUT THE 949 LUGS GUYS. YOUR RIGHT, THEY ARE GREAT. FORM AND FUNCTION, YOU GOTTA LOVE EM. GLAD I FOUND OUT ABOUT THEM BEFORE I DRUG OUT THE SAWZALL. JUST GOES TO SHOW, THESE FORUMS ARE MOST INFORMATIVE AND I'M VERY APPRECIATIVE FOR THE GOOD INFO. THANKS AGAIN, RL
waterwellwizard

Return to General Discussion